HBCOA 714.374.1524 • SENIOR CENTER IN CENTRAL PARK 714.536.5600 • HOAG HEALTH & WELLNESS PAVILION 714.374.1578 • TRANSPORTATION 714.374.1742
HBCOA at the forefront of aging issues
Officially recognized by the City Council of Huntington Beach as representing its local senior citizens, the HBCOA was awarded non-profit status in 1973 and has always been at the forefront of aging issues. During the design stage of the new Senior Center in Central Park, the City Council directed the HBCOA to provide input related to the overall design of the new center.
As we welcome in June, there are many announcements to share with you:
● HBCOA’s newest board member and Assistant Treasurer, Phil Burtis, comes to us with experience, knowledge and a solid history of wonderful volunteerism in the City of Huntington Beach. Welcome aboard Phil!
● Friday, June 14 is SeniorServ’s Father’s Day Luncheon to recognize all the wonderful Dads.
● Thursday, June 20 at 3 p.m. in the Parkview Room there will be a special presentation, “Caregiving for a Spouse or Partner,” compliments of MemorialCare Orange Coast Medical Center. You can RSVP to 800-MEMORIAL (636-6742).
● Friday, June 21 is HBCOA’s Annual On Course Golf Tournament fundraiser to benefit services to seniors. Thanks to all our sponsors, including Title Sponsors First Bank and Banc of California! We could not do any of it without our amazing volunteer co-chairs Cathy Meschuk and Laura Gaffney. They have put in countless hours, enthusiasm and energy to make this year’s tournament the best ever!
● Friday, June 21 is SeniorServ’s First Day of Summer Luncheon.
● June also kicks off the 2nd Annual Photo Contest. Visit www.hbcoa.org for information, registration and contest rules.
● Save the dates for our exciting Summer Concerts on July 13 and August 10! Last years’ concert was a smashing success and we look forward to more fun this summer with two opportunities to rock out. Tickets are available at the Senior Center in Central Park front desk. These are just a snapshot of the many activities and classes available at our wonderful Senior Center in Central Park. We hope to see you soon!
Beth Hambelton, HBCOA President
June marks the beginning of summer and we are busy plannin several fabulous events. Friday, June 21st is the 27th Annual “On Course” Golf Tournament. If you like to golf, this event is for you! The Huntington Beach Council On Aging supports the many beneficial programs offered at the Senior Center in Central Park and this is a great opportunity to support those efforts. Check out www.hbcoa.org for more details.
Let us take the fun outdoors this summer! We have planned two summer concerts on the lawn this year. We will be rocking out July 13th and August 10th with lively bands, a beer and wine garden, and delicious food. We have several amazing sponsors to acknowledge including Hoag Hospital, MemorialCare Orange Coast Medical Center, Alzheimer’s Family Center, Oakmont of Huntington Beach, Sunrise Senior Living, Memorial Care, and Greater Newport Physicians. Without their support, this event would not be possible. Don’t miss out, buy your tickets at the front counter today!
Rounding out the summer, there is the HBCOA 31st Annual Senior Saturday Community Festival on Saturday, September 7th. Mark your calendars for a great day of entertainment, information from the wonderful vendors, food, and fun!
Summer session of recreational classes begin the week of June 24th and I hope to see you here! Happy June!
Kristin Martinez, Recreation Supervisor